Magic with Sonia Aguilar! Continuing our Interviews with OtE: 2nd International Latinx Performance Artists!

 


Xavier: How would you describe your own performative work? What is performance art to you and what about it motivates you to be a part of its rich history?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I usually label myself as an obscure ritualistic performance artist.  For me, performance art is about the act of transmutation and creation, being powerful enough to make the audience react in any form, or no form at all.  My motivations are my darkest emotions, my darkest senses, anything that I have always wanted to scream but haven’t dared to.  I create pieces with all my passion, and I just share it with the audience, while encouraging others to create their own art. 

 

 

Xavier: Wonderful, can you describe the performance that you will be doing with us? How does it fit into the bigger picture of your work?

 

Sonia Aguilar: This piece is powerful and meaningful to my artistic career right now. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life, this kind of performance, showing the cruelty, the sorrow, the love, the passion and beauty of living… This piece marks an important peak in my constant evolution and adds new meaning to this phase of my work/self. I can’t describe it because I want the audience to do that for me and for themselves. Without saying a word, I know they can get more of it, that is what makes my heart full. 

 

Xavier: Going back to childhood--what is your earliest memory of making something artistic--do you think that there is any connection to what you do now? 

 

Sonia Aguilar: I was constantly discouraged by my mother not to dance, not to imitate any dancers or singers, and she would dampen anything artistic.  I was not exposed to any art in my house, only music, some movies, but my family did not have the sense of art.

 

When I was in middle school, I started getting fascinated in my history and art books. I had the same teacher in two courses, and she was highly educated and the way she explained all the artistic sides of the ancient cultures fascinated me, that was my first encounter with artistic expression in person; but it was still something I thought wasn’t meant for me. However, it spurred in me a great desire and I started going to local museums, and getting into artistic movies as well, but I never imagined I would be a performer at some point in life. My family is not at all a fan of what I do, actually, I think they hate it or think I am an old ridiculous crazy woman.  And to be completely honest, I love that!

 

But I do have to share that I have a 10-year-old son and he is my biggest fan! He is always cheering for me, and he thinks that what I do is rad and beautiful—at least for now!

 

I believe that your family, friends and loved ones, have the right to hate and not support you.  They should not support your art if they don’t believe in it.  That’s honesty, and I don’t need them to love and support what I do, because to me, as long I am happy and pleased with my performance work—that’s all that matters to me. 




 

Xavier: I absolutely agree, 100%! What things do you keep coming back to in your work--what are your greatest obsessions? 

 

Sonia Aguilar: Occult art, rituals in all their forms, paganism, human roots, emotions, transmutations, alchemy, energy, mysticism, unexplained forces… 

 

Xavier: What do you consider your greatest achievement and what are your goals for the future?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I consider all my performances to be a big achievement!  All of them have been a piece of my soul, for the good and the bad. I would not change that! My goal is to keep doing this as much as I possibly can, to keep learning, to get more training from other teachers and artists and to inspire others along the way! 

 

Xavier: Are there any artists/performers who have inspired your work?

 

Sonia Aguilar: Hell, yes! Too many to name all of them; but I will mention a few of the endless lists of artists I admire and have somehow inspired me in one way or another… Diamanda Galas, Mary Wigman, Tony Iommi, Rosaleen Norton, Marjorie Cameron, Irma Serrano, David Bowie, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Jess Franco, Jean Rollin, Carolee Schneemann, Aleister Crowley, just to mention a few… 

 

Xavier: What projects do you have lined up for the future?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I love to go with the flow, I am always open to offers to perform at festivals and events. So, whatever comes  I embrace and welcome. But I do have a project for some videos and other things of the sort that is in talks, so we will see what happens. 

 

 


 Xavier: Do you believe in love? What is your definition of magic?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I do believe in love in many forms, art is a way of showing love, being capable of expressing and dedicating your pieces to something or someone is a big manifestation of love, being inspired to create is a big manifestation of love. That's the love which saves me and makes me feel alive. 

 

Magic is the art of transmuting energy and using it in your favor. 

 

Xavier: What do you consider your greatest artistic achievement so far?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I haven’t killed myself yet, so that is my biggest artistic accomplishment! 

 

Xavier: As an artist, what is your greatest fear?

 

Sonia Aguilar: No longer enjoying other artists and forms of art. Art is everywhere and being able to find it everyday is what makes my heart full. 




 

Xavier: What is your greatest hope?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I haven’t thought about it, I don’t really like “hope.” It's like hanging in there for a promise that hasn’t been made, something intangible that doesn’t exist, I don’t live  or believe in hope. 

 

Xavier: Do you have a website/s where people can learn more about you and your work?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I am currently working on getting a new one! For now, just my Instagram @thevelvetsonia 

 

Xavier: Any last things that you would like to talk about--anything?

 

Sonia Aguilar: I am thrilled to be counted as a LatinX artist. We now have this wonderful space and festival; we are part of this beautiful city and community and we are getting stronger. Thank you to everyone for making this possible. 

  

Xavier: Thank you so much for your time and for being part of this festival, which I truly believe is an important point in Seattle History.





 On the Edge: 2nd International Latinx Performance Art Festival is supported by LadyPants Productions, CoCA Center on Contemporary Art, The Seattle Office of Arts & Culture,  La Sala, 4Culture, Xavier Lopez and DJ Name. The event will occur over 3days from October 5th--7th.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men and Their Toys! Petite Mort Presents Prop Ballet and Comedy to problematize the representation of women's agency.

Interview With Miles and Sydney M. Pertl, Discussing Next Step, Modern Dance and Their Ballet "Ricochet"!

Painter, Hermit and Performance Artist Tatiana Garmendia is the 2nd in our series of Interviews with On the Edge Performance Artists!